Search This Blog

Sunday, July 12, 2015

Day Two--Vanessa Lim (SCBC)

Day 2.
Coming on this trip for me was like starting on a blank slate. Unlike previous mission trips, I had no expectations entering this one and even now, I still feel like I left my heart and mind back in California. But it’s always beautiful to start over again and stop time, even if it is just for a little while.
Today was Saturday, and the main event was a Sunday school-ish event hosted at the church during the afternoon. The entire day leading up to it was spent preparing. In the morning we joined Belize Camping Experience staffers in the sanctuary as one of the leaders, Alexander, shared his beautiful heart and vision for Belize. It touched me to see two, and soon-to-be three, culture groups coming together in a small Belizean church with the shared simple, powerful goal of testifying to Christ’s love. Personally, and I hope none of my audience takes it the wrong way, I find it reaches my heart at far deeper levels when I hear someone sharing his love for Christ with a certain accent that indicates a different cultural background, or whatever indication really. This is exactly because of what I wrote above: to see how God has touched other cultures besides my own really gives me a glimpse of what heaven will be like.
In the morning we split into groups and passed out flyers around the neighborhood. I had never seen so many dogs in one neighborhood, and the houses were nothing like the ones you would see in America. They were houses I envisioned you would find in Italy or Greece, with large balconies and intricately designed iron gates. My group was lucky enough to pass by the BTL Park by the beach on the way, and we stopped for fresh frozen orange juice. When we got back to the church, we prepped for different aspects of Saturday school. I spent my time filling water balloons for the games. My fondest memory was releasing a filled water balloon into our guard dog, Partner’s eager mouth and drenching his head. The group of kids that arrived numbered around 15-20, and we immediately hit it off playing volleyball or making more water balloons together. The order of events was worship, games, and a Bible lesson. Games were by far the most enjoyable part of the Saturday school especially since they involved water balloons and sponges. You can imagine the rest of what happened.

Excuse me, Ken is by my side, breathing down my neck saying that we have devotions and debriefing to do now. See you tomorrow!! Can’t wait to see what else God will do this week, and it’s only been the first day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment